Mrs. James M. Thomson (E.M. Thomson) was born in Connecticut in 1807. She emigrated to Africa in 1831, and taught an infant school in Monrovia. She and her husband afterward removed to Cape Palmas, and in 1835 Mr. Thomson was appointed by the Foreign Committee to open a Mission Station at Mount Vaughan; and when the Rev. Dr. Savage joined the Mission about Christmas, 1836, he found the ground had been cleared, and the house partly completed. Mr. Thomson died not long afterward. Mrs. Thomson's connection with the Mission continued to the day of her death, which occurred April 26th, 1864. Mrs. E. M. Thomson, who served for many years, was called the Mother of the Mission at Cape Palmas.